- Five-lobed motherwort (Leonurus quinquelobatus) is a perennial herb with a tetrahedral erect, pubescent, pubic stalk. The leaves are opposite, palmate-five-divided, town-serrate, dark green above, light green below. The flowers are small, two-lipped, densely pubescent. The upper lip of the corolla is purple-pink, the lower lip is yellowish, with purple dots. Flowers are collected in whorls in the axils of the upper leaves. Fruits - trihedral nuts. Height 40-100 cm
- Gray motherwort (Leonurus glaucescens) is a perennial grassy gray-gray finely pubescent plant. The leaves are opposite, palmately incised, with oblong-lanceolate or linear lobes. Bracts with a wedge-shaped base. The flowers are small, two-lipped, pale pink, collected in whorls. Height 70-100 cm.
Flowering time. The motherwort five-lobed blooms in June - August, bluish - in June - July.
Spread. Five-lobed motherwort is found in many places in the European part of the USSR, in Western Siberia and Central Asia, blue motherwort - in the South-East and Eastern zones of the European part of the USSR.
Habitat. Five-lobed motherwort grows on wastelands, slopes, cliffs, along roads, along gardens and near dwellings, bluish motherwort - on shrubs, ravines, near roads and in weedy places.
Applicable part. Grass (tops of stems with leaves and flowers).
Pick time. In the flowering period.
Chemical composition. The grass contains several alkaloids (only at the beginning of flowering - 0.35-0.40%) - bitter Leonurin and Leonurin, stachydrin, saponins, glucosides, tannins (about 2.14%), sugars, essential oil (0.05% ), traces of vitamins A and C and other substances.
Application. Motherwort as a medicinal plant was known in the Middle Ages. The plant is widely used in folk medicine in many countries. Motherwort has long been used in Russian traditional medicine as a cardiac remedy and as well as for persistent coughing.
The infusion and tincture of the herb act on the cardiovascular system, slow down the rhythm of the heart, increase the strength of heart contractions, and lower blood pressure. It has been established that motherwort preparations have a calming effect on the central nervous system, moreover, they are stronger than valerian tinctures by three to four times. Motherwort increases urination, strengthens menstruation, drives gas when they accumulate in the stomach and intestines, stops gastrointestinal colic, reduces and relieves pain, reduces and stops shortness of breath and heartbeat, improves the well-being of patients. Motherwort preparations reduce headaches and, with a mild hypnotic effect, improve sleep.
In folk medicine, motherwort is taken as a cardiac and sedative. A decoction of the roots is drunk as a hemostatic agent for various bleeding, and poultices from the grass are used as an anesthetic for aches.
In German traditional medicine, the infusion and tincture is used for palpitations, headaches, anemia, gastrointestinal colic, asthma, shortness of breath, as a diuretic, and especially for painful menstruation and their delay.
In scientific medicine, motherwort is used for cardiovascular neurosis, increased nervous excitability, the initial stages of hypertension, cardiosclerosis, angina pectoris, myocarditis, heart defects, and mild forms of a basic disease. It has a good effect on heart failure following flu and other infectious diseases. With heart failure, motherwort reduces edema, increasing urination, with hypertension it lowers blood pressure, reduces headaches, improves sleep and general well-being of patients.
Motherwort is widely used in foreign medical practice. In England, it is recommended to use it for hysteria, neuralgia, heart weakness and shortness of breath, and in Romania - for a base disease and epilepsy.
Motherwort herb is part of the soothing collection.
Mode of application.
- Insist 2 teaspoons of motherwort herb for 6-8 hours in 2 cups of cooled boiled water, strain. Take 1/4 cup 3-4 times a day 1/2 hour before meals.
- Insist 15 g of herb for 2 hours in 1 cup boiling water in a sealed container, strain. Take 1 tablespoon 3-5 times a day for 1/2 hour before meals.
- Alcohol tincture of motherwort (as well as tincture of lily of the valley) take 20-30 drops with water 2-3 times a day 1/2 hour before meals.
- Dry the leaves into powder. Take 0.5-1 g 4 times a day before meals.
- Medicinal plants of our homeland - V.P. Makhlayuk